Ever find yourself reaching for something sugary mid-afternoon or in the evenings?
Maybe a bad night’s sleep has left you feeling tired?
Or stressed; let’s face it motherhood, is a pretty tough job even at the best of time.
Or you need a distraction from Peppa Pig? Well you are in good company. Regardless of the reason, here are our five top tips to beat that snack attack
- Don’t skip meals. Avoiding meals has a negative effect on your body; Firstly, looking after yourself as well as a little one can leave you feeling exhausted so calories in this case count. Secondly, skipping meals means your blood sugar drops and your animal instinct will push you to grabbing the first sugary treat. Thirdly, skipping meals can lead to a hormonal in-balance which will result in hunger related mood swings and then our comfort receptors will reach for naughty food.
- Eat More Protein. If you are snacking loads in-between meals then you are not eating enough. Why not add more protein and vegetables to your meals especially to your Lunch and Dinner. More protein will keep you feeling fuller for longer and vegetables have fewer calories.
- Drink water and plenty of it. Our brains often mistake hunger for thirst. So grab a glass of water before you reach for the snack jar.
- Remove the temptation. Avoid buying junk food. Don’t shop when you’re hungry. If you are a “snacker” swap milk chocolate for dark chocolate which is at least 80% cocoa. Or swap crisps for a bag of Kale, which you can turn into crisps in minutes (we have a recipe on the Lean Mums website) or go natural and swap those sugary snacks for unsalted nuts or fruit.
- Screen Eating. What I mean by this is, avoid eating when you are watching TV or on a phone or tablet. If your mind is focused on the telly and not on what’s going in your mouth, the intention to eat just a nibble of a treat can lead to you unconsciously devouring the whole packet.
Ultimately snacking isn’t bad if it’s done in moderation, especially if it is done with healthy intentions. Lean Mums has a great selections of snack recipes when you are looking for that something extra.
Lean Mums is an online world designed to support your health and fitness during your motherhood journey, with lots of recorded exercise workouts which you can follow in the comforts of your own home. Lean Mums has designed easy to follow family recipes which are all around 400 calories and below. We also have a range of snacks in case you are looking for something yummy in between meals. Sign up today and receive your first month free by using freemonth18
Please click HERE to find out more about Lean Mums and the Team.